Launch of Viking River Cruises new ship, Viking Ra setting sail
We are very excited to announce the launch of Viking River Cruises new ship, Viking Ra setting sail on a new Egypt itinerary, Pharaohs & Pyramids in March 2018. The all-suite Viking Ra boasts 24 suites and accommodates 48 guests, reflecting Viking's award-winning Scandinavian design and intimate sailing experience.
Viking are one of only a few Western companies to own and operate a ship on the Nile, with Viking staff to guarantee the delivery of our award-winning service. Viking Ra, named in honour of the Egyptian sun god Ra, will feature three suite stateroom categories, as well as an on-board spa, two Jacuzzis and an outdoor pool. Designed by experienced nautical architects and engineers, the ship combines elegant Scandinavian design with local design influences, including geometric Arabic patterns and terrazzo floors to fully immerse guests in the local surroundings.
As they continue to grow their river fleet and provide new itineraries, we look forward to providing our guests with even more choice to explore the world ‘the Viking way'.
Discover Egypt, ancient and modern
Uncover the ancient secrets of Egypt long buried in desert sands while experiencing the welcoming culture of today. See the pyramids from astride a majestic camel. Wander among 140 soaring pillars in Karnak Temple. Explore Dendera, one of Egypt's best-preserved and less-frequented temples. Feel the Nile breeze on your cheeks as you skim its waters by traditional felucca. Delight in the fragrances of Aswan’s spice market. Join Viking and our expert Egyptologists on a 12-day Nile cruise tour into the heart of Egypt.
Book a 12-day Pharaohs & Pyramids cruise and receive free return economy flights to Egypt. This amazing offer is only valid until 30 June 2017, so book your clients now to avoid disappointment.
Day 1 — Cairo, Egypt
Arrive in Cairo, Egypt’s exhilarating capital. This pulsating, historic city was made prosperous over millennia as a stopover for Sahara caravans on trade routes to Byzantium. You will transfer to the First-Class Ritz Carlton Nile (or similar) for a 3-night stay.
Day 2 — Cairo, Egypt
This morning we take an excursion to the necropolis at Sakkara to see the world’s oldest step pyramid. After a typical Egyptian lunch, continue to the Giza Plateau to behold the only Wonder of the Ancient World still standing: the Great Pyramids of Khufu, Khafre and Menkaure. There, you can experience them as the ancients did—from astride the “ships of the desert”—during a brief camel ride. Nearby, see the Great Sphinx, forever facing due east. Return to your hotel for dinner and a free evening to relax or explore on your own. (B, L, D)
Day 3 — Cairo, Egypt
Today the fascinating sights of Cairo unfold before you. This morning, tour the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities and admire its huge collection of artefacts, then visit the famous gallery displaying the riches of King Tutankhamen. Later, marvel at the sprawling Citadel of the Mountain and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali. After lunch on your own at or near your hotel, take free time in the afternoon to follow your own interests. Later, you might join an optional visit to Khan el-Khalili, Cairo’s most famous outdoor souk (bazaar). After an orientation from your guide, you can shop for all manner of Egyptian goods, from carpets to brassware to spices, and admire the Al-Aqmar Mosque. Conclude your outing with a traditional Egyptian dinner in Al-Azhar Park. (B)
Day 4 — Luxor, Egypt
Early this morning, fly to Luxor, the ancient city of Thebes beautifully set on the Nile River, where history will be brought to life by your expert Egyptologist. At the Temples of Luxor and Karnak, long buried beneath desert sands, walk among monumental peristyles and obelisks and learn how ancient hieroglyphics hint at the beliefs and lifestyle of ancient Egyptians. Proceed to your Nile cruise ship for check-in and a welcome lunch. Join an optional excursion to the Luxor Library and Heritage Centre, where the city’s past is preserved and shared in engaging exhibits. Enjoy an on-board dinner. (B, L, D)
Day 5 — Luxor, Egypt
Relax over breakfast, or (weather permitting) join an optional early-morning hot air balloon ride over Luxor’s temples and monuments. You’ll marvel at breath-taking views of an ancient city, the surrounding desert sands and the magnificent Nile. Later, head to the Nile’s west bank to visit the Valley of the Kings, where ancient pharaohs were entombed deep in the hillsides, and the Valley of the Queens, resting place of pharaohs’ wives. Here you will enjoy Privileged Access to the tomb of Queen Nefertari, an exquisitely preserved tomb only a few visitors get to see. Among the sites you’ll visit are the Mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, one of Egypt’s few female rulers and most successful pharaohs. Return to your ship as we set sail for Qena; lunch and dinner are served on board as we cruise along the spectacular Nile. (B, L, D)
Day 6 — Qena, Egypt
This morning’s excursion takes you to the sprawling complex of Dendera. Remarkably, it’s fascinating Temple of Hathor was not built by the ancient Egyptians, but by Ptolemies and Romans in classic Egyptian style. During your tour, you will walk through its towering stone gate to view the columns and hieroglyphics of some of Egypt’s best preserved structures. After a guided visit and time to explore on your own, you will return to your ship. (B, L, D)
Day 7 — Esna, Egypt
Disembark at Esna today to explore the red sandstone Temple of Khnum. In the 1st-century Hypostyle Hall, admire its 24 columns, six across and four deep, each topped by a differently designed, intricately carved floral capital. As you explore, be sure to examine the hieroglyphics depicting Roman emperors making offerings to the gods. After a guided tour, you will have time to take in more of this fascinating site on your own. (B, L, D)
Day 8 — Aswan, Egypt
Awake in Aswan this morning, Egypt’s bustling market city. You will have the morning to explore on your own, or join an optional excursion to Abu Simbel to admire the Great Temple of Ramses II, Egypt’s longest ruling pharaoh. It is dominated by four colossal statues, sixty feet high and directly facing the rising sun. The statues are all of Ramses, with his queen and daughters at his feet. Moved from its original location near Aswan to save it from the rising waters of Lake Nasser, it was built as a tribute to the deities and Ramses II’s favourite wife, Nefertari. This afternoon, take a scenic Nile cruise on a felucca, a traditional Egyptian wooden sailboat, and visit the local spice market. Enjoy an on-board dinner and spend the night in Aswan. (B, L, D)
Day 9 — Aswan, Egypt
After breakfast, visit the small, elegant Temple of Isis, rescued from the rising waters of Lake Nasser that submerged Philae Island. This temple is one of the Nubian monuments that comprise a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You’ll also see the Aswan High Dam, completed in the 1960s. Then receive a warm welcome at a Nubian village, where you will visit the elementary school and be invited into a local home to get a glimpse of day-to-day life. Have lunch on board as you enjoy scenic cruising along the Nile. Disembark later to explore Kom Ombo. Here, enjoy a guided tour of the unusual double temple dedicated to the sky god Haroeris and the crocodile god Sobek, a protective deity thought to have created the world. (B, L, D)
Day 10 — Edfu, Egypt
This morning, ride in a horse-drawn calèche, or carriage, to the Temple of Horus. Dedicated to the falcon-headed god of light, it was built in Edfu during the Ptolemaic Dynasty. This is another of Egypt’s best preserved temples, fronted by a massive wall whose entrance is flanked by two falcon statues. Enjoy more Nile cruising today, marvelling at the lush green riverbanks backed by hills of desert sands. Arrive back in Luxor later, and join an optional sound and light show at the Temple of Luxor this evening. (B, L, D)
Day 11 — Luxor, Egypt
After a leisurely on-board breakfast, disembark and head to the airport for your flight back to Cairo. Check in to the First-Class Cairo City Stars Hotel (or similar) for 1 night, then enjoy free time. Return to your hotel for dinner and an evening at leisure. (B, L, D
Day 12 — Cairo, Egypt
After breakfast, proceed to the airport for your return flight. Or, extend your journey for 4 nights in Jordan to see the ‟lost city” of Petra, or visit Israel, where three of the world’s major religions converge with grace and beauty. (B)
FROM $7,495 PER PERSON - In a suite (AC) category, departing 24 August 2018
The following meals are included: B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner
* Airport transfers are included when Viking international airfares purchased and air arrival and departure dates coincide with the first and the last day and destination of the cruise/tour itinerary.
Viking Inclusive Value
We include more features and Services than others:
- 11 included shore excursions with local guide & headset
- Complimentary Internet
- Complimentary beer, wine & soft drinks with on-board lunch & dinner
- Pool & Jacuzzi
- Intra-Egypt flights: Cairo-Luxor; Aswan-Cairo
- All port taxes and fees
- Airport transfers on date of embarkation/disembarkation with Viking Air program
- All prepaid gratuities
Your experience includes:
- 12-day cruise tour; 1 country; 6 ports & 1 additional city by land (7-night Nile River cruise); 3 nights at the Nile Ritz-Carlton, Cairo & 1 night at the InterContinental Cairo City stars (or similar)
- Visit 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Culture Curriculum®:
- Viking’s expert Egyptologist leads all excursions sharing the archaeological and historic significance of the sites.
- Visit one of Egypt’s best-preserved temple complexes, Dendera.
- Enjoy a rare private home visit in an actual Nubian village from the port of Aswan.
- Lectures on the role of women in Egyptian society and current events in Egypt.
- Meals included on board & ashore: 11 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 9 dinners
- On-board meals featuring regional specialties & always available classics
- Welcome Cocktail Reception & Farewell Dinner
- 24/7 Guest Services for special requests
- Riverview suite
- Room steward & twice daily housekeeping service
- Hotel-style bed with luxury linens & pillows
- Flat-panel TV with infotainment & satellite
- Refrigerator, security safe, hair dryer
- 110 volt outlets
- Glass-enclosed shower
- Premium bath toiletries; bathrobes & slippers (upon request)
Owned and operated by Viking, Viking Ra is the newest, most upscale ship in Egypt. Specifically built to navigate the Nile, in 2017 she was completely stripped down to her steel frame and reconfigured to be a modern, elegant vessel. Fully reimagined to international standards and Viking design specifications, she is now an all-suite, state-of-the art ship with the clean, elegant Scandinavian design for which Viking is known blended with local influences like traditional geometric Arabic patterns. Accommodating just 48 guests, she offers the ultimate in comfort.
Viking Ra Ship Features
- All-suite state-of-the art ship for just 48 guests
- Veranda Suites are 291 sq. ft., feature two rooms with a veranda off the living room and a French balcony in the bedroom, and have two flat-panel TVs
- Suites are 291 sq. ft., feature two rooms–each with a large picture window, and have two flat-panel TVs
- All suites have hotel-style beds with optional twin-bed configuration
- Sun Deck with 360-degree views and shaded sitting areas
- Pool and two Jacuzzis
- The Lounge and bar with floor-to-ceiling windows and glass doors that lead to an open air Aquavit terrace for panoramic views
- Restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows for panoramic views
- Spa and massage services
- Complimentary ship wide wireless Internet service
- Laundry service
Pre & Post Cruise Extensions
More days means more to discover, with extension packages you can add before or after your Viking cruise or cruise tour. Maximize the value of your overseas flight and enjoy additional days to explore your embarkation or disembarkation city, or see a new destination altogether with a choice of exciting cities.
Now is your chance to visit more fascinating Middle Eastern sites. Ancient history and a vibrant culture await on a four-night pre-cruise extension package visit to Israel’s capital, Jerusalem.
ALL THIS IS INCLUDED:
- 4 nights in Jerusalem: King David Jerusalem (or similar)
- 8 meals: 4 breakfasts, 3 lunches & 1 dinner
- 3 guided tours: Bethlehem Walking Tour; Jerusalem City Tour; Israel Museum Tour & Marc Chagall Stained Glass
- Fully escorted by your Viking Tour Director
- Flight from Tel Aviv to Cairo
- Hotel & airport transfers
Visit one of the wonders of the ancient world, the lost city of Petra, on a four-night post-cruise extension package that also includes the Dead Sea and the Jordanian capital of Amman.
ALL THIS IS INCLUDED:
- 4 nights’ accommodations: 2 nights in Petra—Petra Marriott Hotel (or similar); 1 night at the Dead Sea—Crowne Plaza Dead Sea (or similar); 1 night in Amman—Le Méridien Amman (or similar)
- 8 meals: 4 breakfasts, 2 lunches & 2 dinners
- 3 guided tours: Guided Tours of Madaba, Petra and Amman & Jerash
- Fully escorted by your Viking Tour Director
- Flight from Cairo to Amman
- Hotel & airport transfers
Contact us today for more information - EMAIL or Call (09) 6304931